Keep your energy up this summer...
Feeling lethaaaaaargic this summer? Here’s a little on how to prevent that lifeless “ewww" feeling…
Foods high in vitamin B allow the body to maintain healthy blood sugar levels rather than the spikes and drops we’re so used to with our morning coffees and afternoon slump treats. Nutritionists recommend eating three healthy, balanced meals and having a snack mid-morning and mid-afternoon to maintain the blood sugar level. Vitamin B also supports the health of the central nervous system, which means you’ll manage stress a lot better too. Bonus!
Magnesium works with vitamin B in over 1000 enzyme reactions in the body to provide energy for our cells so it’s essential to ensure you’re keeping topped up with your greens (asparagus, broccoli, spinach), bananas, nuts, pumpkin seeds, pulses, wholegrains (pasta or rice), fish and eggs and even dark chocolate!
Here are a couple of sample menus so you have an idea of what you could do if you’re unsure of where to start…
Non-vegetarian sample menu 1:
- Breakfast: Scrambled eggs (1 x wholegrain toast)
- Mid morning snack: wholegrain crackers and cheese OR nuts OR fruit
- Lunch: Chicken and avocado salad, loaded with spinach and papaya with a squeeze of fresh lime / lemon, and a pinch of herbs in olive oil for your dressing. Spoon on to whole wheat crackers if you want.
- Afternoon snack: 1x piece of fruit
- Dinner: Teriyaki fish with steamed green vegetables and sweet potato mash
Vegetarian sample menu:
- Breakfast: spinach, celery, kale, green apple, ginger, honey and almond milk OR water juice
- Mid morning snack: (if you do mix dairy and fruits) try a greek yoghurt (plain or flavoured) topped with walnuts and almonds, a handful of wholegrain cereal, half a banana and a handful of berries
- Lunch (salad or hot pasta dish): Wholewheat pasta, peppers, spinach and broccoli or green beans, cashews, chilli, lemon, garlic
- Mid-afternoon snack: wholegrain crackers and cheese OR nuts OR fruit
- Dinner: Whole grain brown rice risotto with asparagus, mushrooms and sun dried tomatoes
Enjoy doing the things you love with lots of energy...